Saturday, February 16, 2013

Star Traders Elite Review



I can't remember how I first came across Star Traders from Trese Brothers in the App Store (it is available for iOS and Android), but I am sure it was from reading Toucharcade or from some podcast or other. However it happened, I downloaded the free version of the game and proceeded to travel about the galaxy trying to make it in the harsh vastness of space.

Star Traders is a space exploration and trading role playing game where you are the captain in charge of a space ship and responsible for the well being of your ship and crew. Your objective is to survive, get rich and see the stars. The game breaks down into ship battles, random-seeming exploration of planets, missions and trading. All of which are displayed on screen in a simple user interface and a kind of turn by turn based choices. As you explore the galaxy you become revered or hated by various political groups, buy or upgrade your ships or take those of NPC captains.

The game is fairly complex in what it will allow you to do for a free version, but does have several features (ships, more spaces to explore in the galaxy and starting professions) locked in the free version. Even with those limitations, you can get hours of time logged in the game without feeling the need to upgrade to the Elite version. I splayed two games (dying in battle both times) before the Elite version of the game was released as a standalone app that I promptly bought. I'm not keen on in app purchases, so I was happy to see the Elite version released.

Star Traders reminded me of the old game Elite for the exploration and trading aspects, though it may remind me of the equally old Universe games more than that. But unlike the Universe games, there doesn't seem to be much of an underlying story arc to the game (unless I have missed it so far by dying too soon). Can't wait to find out.

If you want a light on graphics space trading, battle and exploration fix, try Star Traders - especially the free version before picking up Elite. The game may get a bit repetitive, but I haven't stopped playing yet. Star Traders Elite gets 3 Mick Happies.


No comments:

Post a Comment