Sunday, December 2, 2012

Games That Should Be Remade





Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition was released this week for the PC. I don’t have the remake of Baldur’s Gate yet, but I can’t wait to be “Butt-kicking for Goodness!” on iPad soon. Looking at what Overhaul Games has done with Baldur’s Gate just makes you dream of other games that could have new life in our digital age. Here are some of my suggestions for remakes someone should get started on right now:

Diablo for Xbox (or Playstation if you prefer).  As we saw with the release of Torchlight for XBLA, the action RPG is fits perfectly into the console environment. Additionally, there is a huge market opportunity here. I imagine there are about a million people who would like up to have a re-mastered, updated and accessible Diablo on their console (and big screen tv). Until it happens, I will have to settle for Torchlight, Sacred 2 and other aRPGs that are available for Xbox.

How about releasing some of the old Strategic Simluation Inc. Gold Box D&D games? I know Baldur’s Gate was way ahead of any of the Gold box games (Pool of Radiance anyone?), but c’mon, these would be fun to have on iPad or any tablet. (Yes, I know I can get Bard’s Tale, but it would be nice to have some of the other games I played in my youth.)

More board games on iPad (or other tablets). Games like the original Dungeon! or Electronic Detective or Dark Tower would definitely be fun to have at my fingertips in a nice digital version. While we’re at it, why not more strategy war games on the iPad? Speaking of SSI, why not some of their war games like Red Lightning or Panzer General?

Last I will leave you with the idea of Railroad Tycoon 3 (or any of the Railroad Tycoon series) on your tablet with new touch interface and updated graphics. That would suck away more than a few of my hours.

Maybe I am just nostalgic for games that aren’t as good as I remember them, but I don’t think so.  Remaking classic games with updated graphics, interface, controls and in some cases sounds/music would be a win for everyone. Now if only someone would get the rights and get on it.

On a related note, I can’t wait for the release of M.U.L.E. returns and Wasteland 2.

Just saying…

No comments:

Post a Comment